After looking at what I have left to read in 2012 and shuffling my reading list about (it pays to be ahead ), I have decided to join Room Beam Reader’s October event, The Literary Others.
As he mentions, October is LGBT History month (in the US; it’s in February in the UK) and I have quite a few LGBT novels, authors and galleys on my to-be-read list for 2012 and figured I might as well shift them around to fit into October. It should be fun as I have a degree in Gender Studies and have done my fair share or research on LGBT novels, plays and authors.
I’ve also decided as part of this event that I am going to host my first giveaway! It will be later in the month and will be relatively simple like an Amazon gift card or a book from the Book Depository, but I haven’t decided on the constraints or the books.
I do have an idea of what I will read for October and I have a good wide list to pull from for any other reads I may want to read/re-read. Check out my potential list below; the bold I definitely want to read, everything else I currently have copies of and I may get to. And if you’re interested in any books I have previously read and tagged as LGBT (mostly through characters and stories and not necessarily the authors) check it out.
- Other Voices, Other Rooms, Truman Capote
- Second Hand, Heidi Cullinan and Marie Sexton – ARC Galley
- The Hours, Michael Cunningham
- A Room with a View, E.M. Forster
- Howard’s End, E.M. Forster
- A Map of the Harbor Islands, J.G. Hayes
- The Laramie Project, Moises Kaufman (re-read)
- Zami, A New Spelling of My Name, Audre Lorde (re-read)
- A Son Called Gabriel, Damian McNicholl
- At Swim, Two Boys, Jamie O’Neill (re-read)
- Israel/Palestine and the Queer International, Sarah Schulman – ARC Galley
- My Undoing, Aiden Shaw (re-read)
- Annabel, Kathleen Winter
- Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf (re-read)